Burpees are a simple, yet effective exercise that can be done anywhere, at any time, and with no equipment needed. They provide a full body cardio workout that targets the muscles in the legs, arms, and core, making them a great exercise for anyone looking to improve their overall fitness level.
How to Do a Basic Burpee Here is a step-by-step guide to performing a basic burpee:
- Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart.
- Lower your body into a squat, placing your hands on the ground in front of you.
- Jump your feet back into a plank position.
- Perform a push-up.
- Jump your feet back up to your hands.
- Stand up and jump into the air, reaching your arms overhead.
5 Popular Burpee Variations
- Squat Thrust Burpee: Similar to the basic burpee, but instead of a push-up, simply stand up from the plank position.
- Jumping Jack Burpee: Start with the basic burpee and add a jumping jack at the end.
- Tuck Jump Burpee: Start with the basic burpee, but instead of jumping with your arms overhead, bring your knees up to your chest for a tuck jump.
- Push-Up Jack Burpee: Start with the basic burpee, but instead of jumping at the end, do a jumping jack in the plank position before standing up.
- Box Jump Burpee: Start with the basic burpee, but instead of jumping straight up, jump onto a box or bench.
Proper Form It is important to maintain proper form while performing burpees to avoid injury and get the most out of your workout. Here are a few tips to keep in mind:
- Keep your back straight and avoid arching or rounding it during the push-up.
- Keep your hands directly under your shoulders and make sure your elbows stay close to your body during the push-up.
- Land softly with bent knees when jumping.
Burpees are a great full body workout that can be done anywhere, are easy to learn, and provide a challenge for both beginners and experienced fitness enthusiasts. With proper form, they can be a fun and effective way to improve your overall fitness level.
- Burpee workout: benefits, variations, and how to do it correctly. (2021, August 11). Healthline. https://www.healthline.com/health/dreaded-exercises-and-why-they-are-good-for-you
- The Burpee: A Complete Guide to the Ultimate Full-Body Exercise. (2021, April 6). ACE Fitness. https://www.acefitness.org/education-and-resources/lifestyle/blog/7234/the-burpee-a-complete-guide-to-the-ultimate-full-body-exercise